DIY Scarf Kimono

Scarf Kimono

On a recent trip to the beach I found myself without a light weight jack to keep my arms covered up in the sun. I had this scarf from a Christmas gift that was the perfect weight but I didn't want to risk losing it in the wind when I got to the beach. So with a little bit of sewing/glueing I had myself a kimono jacket perfect for the beach. 



And of course with out thinking of taking pictures through the process I decided to make a little drawing. Which is sufficient enough since this project was really easy to complete. 

The scarf I had measured at W80"x L29", but your piece of fabric can be any length you want. With me being 5'5, my kimono landed at my waist which was perfect for me.

Materials:

- fabric 80"x 29" or longer
- needle and thread, optional sewing machine or hot glue gun
- ruler
- fabric marking pen

Step 1:



Make sure your piece of fabric is right side up. Also make sure your entire piece is hemmed before you start this project. My scarf was already hemmed. 

Step 2:



Step 3:



Pin the two layers together.

Step 4:



I hand sewed this part only because my sewing machine did not have the correct needle. 

Step 5:



Carefully cut the arm holes open with out cutting into the stitch line at the top.

Step 6:



I hot glued the arm hole hems on my kimono it was much easier to do it that way because how delicate the fabric was. Also you can choose to do the hem towards the inside for a clean edge or the outside for an edge detail.



Turn the kimono right side out and ta-da you are done.



This project was so easy and fun. I hope you enjoy the tutorial. TTFN.

Comments